HERB - Spices anyone?

Rauthulfr mwolfe at nwlink.com
Mon Mar 20 22:06:01 PST 2000

Actually the list of the main cooking spices for the period are pretty much
what we use today, with a couple exceptions, such as Saunders (red
sandalwood) for red food coloring.

Just a partial list (some herbs included):
Turnsole (Blue food coloring *not recommended any more
Parsley (green food coloring
Saffron (Yellow food coloring
Galangal
Various cinnamons
Cubebs
nutmeg
mace
clove
long pepper
black/white pepper
sugar
ginger
salt
marjoram
coriander
sage
thyme
rosemary

At 10:55 PM 3/20/00 -0500, you wrote:
>All right!
>Thanks!
>I'm going to go for an apple tart/pastery of some sort...but all period
>spices will come in handy at some point! :)
>
>Antonia Marin

RauthulfR Meistari inn Orthstori (OL, mCE, P-eX, Et Cetera)
or, non-SCA: Michael Wolfe M. A. I. S. AB-
*Practice Random Acts of Chocolate.....