HERB - A Modern Herbal

Walter J. Wakefield wjwakefield at juno.com
Mon Mar 20 21:50:30 PST 2000

As previously mentioned, Grieve's "Modern Herbal" has a very
comprehensive discussion of a wide variety of herbs (perhaps not quite as
many herbs as Gerard's "Greate Herball", but close).  She gives good
information about the chemical constituents, more than you will find in
most herbals, but do bear in mind the data are as of about 1930.  She
gives details of cultivation and harvesting, and usually gives a
historical background.  The historical notes can be good for
documentation purposes.  The biggest drawback for me is the inadequate
indexing (only indices plant names, and not always as you might expect).
Sometimes one finds things by accident - I found paprika as Hungarian
pepper, and she said another name for it was grains of paradise...
Anyway, a very useful backup reference.

Suzanna, herbalist, Barony of the Steppes, Kingdom of Ansteorra (Dallas,
TX)