HERB - A Modern Herbal

dwilson dwilson at nbnet.nb.ca
Tue Mar 21 07:46:54 PST 2000

> >Grieve's A Modern Herbal seems to be one of the most recommended
> >herbal
> >books, just from curiosity, why?  I have a copy, but since I'm not
> >really an
> >herbalist, I was wondering what its strengths were (so I'd know who to
> >hand
> >it to and who wouldn't find it useful).

  I believe this was the last large,comprehensive English herbal written
before chemical (Penicillin,  sulpha,  etc. ) medicine took over.  Doctors
and lay people used herbs as medicine every day up to the thirties.  So Miss
Grieve's book gives us a main stream view of herbalisim as a science  before
modern medicine.
  Not period but a good comprehensive over view of the subject.
Sheepstealer