HERB - A Modern Herbal

Kathleen Keeler kkeeler at unlserve.unl.edu
Tue Mar 21 11:47:02 PST 2000

Rauthulfr wrote:

> Actually the
> situation has become even more complex since botanists have begun playing
> with taxonomy.  We've come to the point that even the Scientific names come
> in several varieties.

The goal of scientific naming remains that each species have one and only one
correct scientific name.  The issues lie in "are these two plants members of
the same species?" and "is this the correct name for this species?"  Cultivated
plants are tough because of all the changes humans have made in them.  Plants
in history are tough because you can't check what the author was holding when
he wrote "add chamomile".   SCA herbalism is tough because the Linnean system
by which we presently name plants is post period.

Agnes
kkeeler1 at unl.edu