HERB - Re: Partial bibliography on Balms & Ointments

Elizabeth Zagula ezagula at srv.net
Mon May 1 19:36:04 PDT 2000

I visited the website with Culpeper's on it last night and downloaded the
info on the preparation of ointments which will be very helpful.

After reading your posting below I visited the website for Porta's Natural
Magick and I thank you very much for that info.  What a great treasure.
There are 3 versions of Natural Magick available right now.  Two used
reproduction of the 1658 version for $165.00 and $99.00.  There is also an
original 1658 book for a mere $17,500.00.  Wouldn't that be great to own??

Thanks for everyone's postings on my questions.

Elizabeth

There is a fine line between anal and efficient, I straddle it!

----------
> From: Gaylin Walli <gwalli at infoengine.com>
> To: herbalist at ansteorra.org
> Subject: Re: HERB - Ointment, Balm, Salve Recipes??
> Date: Monday, May 01, 2000 12:14 PM
>
> As promised, here is my partial bibliography on balms and ointments
> for the class I taught at the Midrealm's Pentamere Regional RUM.
> All of these books have particular pros and cons wrt the making
> of balms and ointments, but all are very useful. Culpepper is out
> of period, technically, but procedurally has some really great
> instructions that may bridge the gap for people between period
> recipes and older modern ones in the American corpus. I hope
> this helps. FWIW, Gerard is my favorite in terms of finding
> period balms recipes. Oh yes, one more thing. These are only the
> *period/near period* books I used. -- Jasmine, Iasmin de Cordoba
>

> Culpepper, Nicholas. Culpepper's Complete Herbal and English Physician.
>       (no editor, online and facsimile edition). Publisher: J. Gleave and
Son,
>       Deansgate, Manchester England. 1685/1826. Also available online in
>       the Peter Cole published original at these locations:
>
>       http://www.med.yale.edu/library/historical/culpeper/culpeper.htm
>       http://www.bibliomania.com/NonFiction/Culpeper/Herbal/
>
>       Culpepper's book of medicine was first published in 1652. Included
>       with the descriptions of herbs and their uses is a section on the
>       temperaments of herbs and the directions for making various
>       substances, but especially ointments.
>
> Gerard, John.Gerard's Herball (Thomas Johnson, Ed.). Publisher: Dover.
>       ISBN: 048623147X. c.1597/1633.
>
>       Gerard's Herball was first published in 1597. I used the 1633
>       facsimile edition which was corrected and added to by Thomas
>       Johnson (he added nearly 800 plants and descriptive information
>       as well as roughly 700 new illustrations). An excellent and
complete
>       edition for any researcher to own, though the cost is prohibitive.
>       Readers would be well-advised to remember Johnson's additions to
the
>       work and read the text accordingly, looking specifically for
Gerard's