HERB - Bug bite remedy please? and more...

joanne baek joannebaek at yahoo.com
Mon May 1 19:49:04 PDT 2000

I think this is my second post, if not it's my third.  I am 1000
miles behind in my reading, won't even try to catch up, so my
comment here are re discussion from some time ago, and just
things in general.

BUG BITES REMEDY--PLEASE:  Some time ago I had correspondence
with a camp for kids impacted by AIDS.  ( www.campheartland.org
I think is their website)  As a person with "Environmental
Illness/Multiple Chemical Sensitivities" (ei/mcs), I am
particularly concerned about the exposures of people to toxic
chemicals, especially those who are already sick.  I was trying
to tell them bug repellents are really nasty chemicals, but I
failed to come up with a remedy that I felt good about sending.
(i.e. to send a months supply for all the campers).  They also
mentioned they would use stuff to doctor the bites campers get,
and I wondered if the stuff discussed early sometime would be
good to send.  If yes, would the person who made it up as
gifts--sorry I didn't keep tabs on who this is--be interested in
making up some to send them, and charging me for it?  The option
on leaving the alcohol out appeals to me if it is possible.

REPELLENT:  If anyone has one to reccommend including commercial
that is completely herbal and no mint, let me know.  The camp is
in Minnesota so I imagine mosquitoes are the big issue.

ALCOHOL;  The subject came up, so I am putting my $0.02 in.  I
am one of those who thinks alcohol is not good to breathe or
ingest or put on the skin.  It is true it is a good solvent,
that would include of cell membranes I believe,  What is seen on
cat scans and maybe xrays of the brains of alcoholics does
indicate that it dissolves brain tissue, big time.  The little
dizziness etc. one might feel on sniffing some evaporating from
a remedy put in hot water indicates that in someway brain
function has been interfered with.

VINEGAR:  There was a discussion re use in hair or hair product.
Again I have strong biases against taking health risks with
substances, and breathing acid fumes is not healthy.  Breathing
fumes of vinegar in chlorinated water I am told means a strong
dose of chlorine as well as the vinegar fumes.  On a slightly
related subject:

ASTHMA AND LUNG ACIDITY:  On one of my lists there was a big
discussion re an article (which I never read) about the acidity
in the lungs relating to asthma attacks, severity, or presence
of asthma in the first place.  One person volunteered that she
had found turning on the humidifier with a baking soda solution
mist puts an immediate stop to an attack, supporting the idea
that acidity is a possible precondition. (Other folks seemed to
find this a very important article, but it was no longer
available when I tried to get back to it.) I mention this
because asthma was discussed in the digest I just read, and
because of to caution people re the potential health risk of
breathing vinegar (or other acid) fumes.  Acid fumes are not a
part of good, clean air that is nice for our lungs, and the
blood that absorbs the gases present in the lungs...

and lastly HELPING WASPS, BEES, ETC to leave the house.  This is
so obvious but I only got shown it two days ago.  When small
things are flying around trapped in the house, spray them with a
spray bottle of water to weigh the wings down so they can't fly.
 Then you can easily get them in a jar or glass etc and take em
outside.

I think that's all for now...
Thanks.
Joanne