HERB - Bug bite remedy please? and more...

Katherine Blackthorne kblackthorne at midtown.net
Tue May 2 08:09:50 PDT 2000

joanne baek wrote:

>  I was trying
> to tell them bug repellents are really nasty chemicals, but I
> failed to come up with a remedy that I felt good about sending.
> (i.e. to send a months supply for all the campers).

You're right -- commercial repellants are a combination of perfume (which draws
the bugs) and poison (which makes you taste bad if they bite you).  Who wants
that on their skin?

The best natural repellant I know of is to consume lots of B-vitamins &
garlic.  These things make you smell (and, I presume, taste) bad to bugs.  I
have mixed brewers yeast (rich in B-complex) & garlic powder in my cats' food
to keep fleas off them.  (They never got fleas when I did this, though they did
if I stopped.)   I also currently take B supplements.  After 10 minutes in my
garden, mosquitoes arrive out of no where.  But they never get close enough to
me to bite.

I haven't had a chance yet to try the recipe that was posted here a while a
go...I really ought to.  (After all, sometimes I forget my vitamins & don't
have a nice garlic spread handy!)
--Katherine