HERB - Bug bite remedy please? and more...

Rauthulfr mwolfe at nwlink.com
Tue May 2 09:33:31 PDT 2000

I hope folks will forgive me for "product endorsements"

As a preventative, one of the herbal repellents which I've found helpful is
Dr. Bronner's Eucalyptus soap.  Given that about the only thing which eats
eucalyptus lives a long way from most SCA events, this works pretty
well.  Since it is a Castile soap, it works well as a shampoo and the hair
carries the scent which helps keep the bugs away longer.

As for dealing with bee-stings and their ilk, there is actually one
"sting-kit" on the market which works if applied within the first minute or
so after a bite.  I'll pop over to my chirurgeon hat for a moment for this
one.  Its a wonderful suction pump made by Sawyer called "The Extractor" or
a generic version of the same.   The thing has several cups which allow a
person to apply suction to most places someone is likely to be bitten, and
it simply sucks the venom out the same hole the bug uses to inject
it!  Very nice and non-invasive.  Some information can be found at:
http://4allergies.4anything.com/network-frame/0,1855,1384:31588,00.html

Note:  The Sawyer kit costs about $14.00, but I have seen virtually the
same kit, although in a different color marketed as a generic for less!

RauthulfR Meistari inn Orthstori (OL, mCE, P-eX, Et Cetera)
or, non-SCA: Michael Wolfe M. A. I. S. AB-
*Practice Random Acts of Chocolate.....