HERB - DANDELIONS

Serian serian at uswest.net
Fri May 5 10:06:52 PDT 2000

Hi,
OK I'm done grading exams, so here's the first thing I
agreed to check:

Dandelion uses
Well, Hildegard of Bingen's Physica has what could either be
dandelion, heliotrope, or chicory used with burdock and
powdered in one recipe that is added to honey for digestive
aid.  The other use of what may or may not be dandelion in
her book is also with burdock in wine for chest and throat
problems.

My guess is for culinary uses it wouldn't be jelly as we
know it today, but possibly confit.  Since flower petals
were eaten, and some sugared, that would be one reasonable
use.  Hope that helps.
Serian

Magdalena wrote:

> Jenne Heise wrote:
>
> > Speaking of fragrances, I've finally given in and decided to do a class
> > for an Arabian event on Fragrant oils and Sweet waters... anybody got
> > special suggestions for reading or for technique?
>
> Platt's _Jewel House of Art & Nature_
>
> As an example...
>
> p16 of the chapter on distillation
> 7. How to sweeten the oyle of Almonds with the afore said oils, so as the same
> may serve the perfumer instead of the oile of Benn, which is made of the Italian
> nuts
>
> p9
> 1. Diverse sorts of sweete, or hand waters made sodainely, or extempore with the
> said oiles
>
> Martha Washington also has a number of recipes in the Booke of Sweetmeats
>
> eg
>
> 318. To Make Sweet Water to Perfume Cloaths in the Foulding After They are
> washed
>
> BTW, does anyone know what oil of Benn is mundanely called, and where I should
> look to get some?
>
> -Magdalena

Fabulous skin and body care!
http://www.beautipage.com/rondadelboccio
Abundant health and prosperity can be yours!
http://www.eventus.net/health&wealth
Sign up for my "A New You" email newsletter-
serian at uswest.net