HERB - morning at the farmer's market

Sheron Buchele/Curtis Rowland foxryde at verinet.com
Sat May 6 08:04:47 PDT 2000

Gentle Cousin,

How lovely!  I wish we all could have been there with you rambling around
and picking up such treasures!

Tomorrow is our first FM here in front range Colorado.  I only hope it is
half as lovely as your morning sounded (without the ticket!)

Good luck with your new babies,

Leonora

At 08:57 AM 5/6/00 -0400, you wrote:
>I just returned from our farmer's market for the first time
>this year. There really is nothing like an early morning trip
>to buy herbs. When you first arrive, it seems like nothing
>more than a poll barn, honestly, with a profusion of trucks
>surrounding. Parking is troublesome if you arrive later than
>7 am.
>
>When you approach the trucks, nothing seems spectacular
>until you round them and enter the long low porch that
>stretches along the length of one side of the market. Ugly
>metal trucks suddenly blossom into a riot of plants too
>many to name. Colors are  everywhere, texture of all kinds
>of leaves and flowers. Vining plants, plants in pots, creepers,
>and mixed bouquets.
>
>And then you smell them. Fresh. Alive. Growing.
>
>Inside is even better because mixed in with that lovely
>smell of promise and vitality is the warm comfort of
>Amish baked goods and roasted caramel nuts, fresh coffee
>and bread and pies.
>
>I wanted to share with you what I bought today.
>
>Today for my herbal garden I bought some lemon balm to
>fill a corner and duke it out with the spearmint that's
>trying to take over. Two pennyroyal plants will enter
>my garden for the first time as I finally have space to
>grow things not food related. A lovely bush basil will
>grace my doorstep, already fat with leaves begging to
>be put into another spinach pie like the ones I made for
>Coronation.
>
>I rescued a rosemary plant and some chocolate mint
>from a lady who didn't understand them. And a new
>organic grower in the market gifted me with a stunning
>variegated sage that should do well in it's new home in
>my back yard. The bee balm he had was lovely, so I
>bought that too.
>
>Two tomato plants will make their debut in my vegetable
>garden this year: yellow pears and sweet 100s, which my
>husband loves in the morning as he gets ready to get in
>the car to go to work. The flat of violas I found will go well
>nearby and with hope I'll be able to sugar the flowers this
>year.
>
>My find for the day, however, was a lovely double-headed
>trillium. I confess I do not have a place for this plant in
>my yard. It needs the shade and moisture of a forest or near
>forest-edge floor. I bought it because the owners of the shop
>have a license to dig and regrow this protected and endangered
>plant and are making a serious effort to preserve the
>beauty that is part of Michigan. And I bought it because it
>made me think of the wonders of Spring and how lucky
>we are to see such beauty in the plants we study..
>
>All the loveliness made the parking ticket I got not seem
>so bad after all. I think the police officer was rather
>stunned that I thanked him.
>
>Cheers and good morning from the Middle Kingdom,
>
>Jasmine
>Iasmin de Cordoba

Fox Ryde Gardens - Herbal Innovations for Health and Cuisine
7743 West First Street
Loveland, CO 80537
970/669-3835
Visit our website: http://www.foxryde.com
Send $2 for our new full color catalog, receive $2 off your first order

 Doing the right thing starts first thing in the morning, Sparky.  Not
after you are caught.
                              -John Criton, FarScape