HERB - citing, ahem, newage materials in handouts...

Jenne Heise jenne at tulgey.browser.net
Mon May 8 12:20:10 PDT 2000

> (I won't go there on the loosing credibility by citing a book some might
> find "offencsive" simply because it's from another religion. That's off
> topic, and might cause a huge flame fest.)

Just note, as a 'neopagan/witch/wiccan' mundanely, I don't find it
problematic that people find new age cites less credible; many of them,
quite simply, are, especially when it comes to trendy topics like herbs.

It's just something to be aware of. I use Rosetta Clarkson's books
frequently-- not a new age, but great secondary sources on period
herbalism-- but after I got marked down for documentation in a
competition, it occured to me that I should probably include the subtitles
for both _Green Enchantment_ and _Magic Gardens_ when I cited them!)

> Use an annotated Bibliography. Also, you might want to verbally explain in
> class why you include the book. Don't sacrifice the quality of the class by
> not including a book that you say "has the clearest explanation of modern
> perfume blending". This is more of a "here's how to achieve the period style
> without getting into trouble" class rather than a "this is how to be totally
> historically accurate" class, right?

Yes. As in, "This is how they did it. This is the kinds of things they
used. This is a modern way to get something of the similar style. If you
want to experiment along these lines, this background material on
fragrance & perfumery may be helpful."

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise	      jenne at tulgey.browser.net
	"Oh it's all too much, too grim, too lovely, too -- how should
	I put this? It's general chaos." -- Edward Gorey