HERB - Two Questions

Elizabeth Zagula ezagula at srv.net
Mon May 8 14:40:45 PDT 2000

Jadwiga wrote:

> Speaking of fragrances, I've finally given in and decided to do a class
> for an Arabian event on Fragrant oils and Sweet waters... anybody got
> special suggestions for reading or for technique? I was going to cover
> enfleurage, tincturing, and addition of oils to a base.
>
> What, besides olive oil, are period base oils?

Do you have Sir Hugh Plat's "Delights for Ladies"??  It is an exact
reproduction of a 1609 edition.  Has two good sections, one is "Secrets in
Distillation"  distillation and the other entitled "Sweete Powders,
oyntments,beauties,etc."  It mentions Oil of Cloves, Cinnamon, Mace,
Nutmegs, Spike, Thyme, Lemmons.  two recipes from the Sweete Powders
sections.  One is "divers sorts of sweet or handwaters made soddainly or
extempore, with the extracted oyles of spices".  The other is "An excellent
sweet water for a casting bottle".  I have two copies, one from the actual
book and another from Cariadoc's Miscellany.  There is also a recipe for
perfuming gloves which I am using for part of my documentation for gloves I
am perfuming for our Kingdom A&S competition this weekend.  In that recipe
it lists, "oile de Ben, or sweet Almonds..."  so they would be
interchangeable.

I am also using Gervase Markham's "The English Housewife" from 1615.  It
has actual recipes for making some of the above oils without distillation.
Oils of spike, nutmeg, mastic, roses, violets, chamomile, lavender, etc.  I
am using a recipe entitled"  To make smooth hands"  as part of a lotion I
am also competing.   It calls for almond oil and cloves.  "the English
Housewife" also has recipes for perfuming gloves and a jerkin.  Wouldn't
that be sweet water?

What do people think about using essential oils for the nutmeg oil,
benjamin oil, etc??

Elizabeth