HERB - Freeze-distillation

Mary Temple noxcat at hotmail.com
Tue May 9 09:41:13 PDT 2000

My information came from a nutritionist (who had Ph.D.'s in both chemistry
and biology), who taught my college level human nutrition class that the
consensus among the scientific community is that the hang-over is much more
a case of alcohol content than the "impurities" as the alcohol is the only
real toxin involved. Although she did state that the higher sugar (and other
impurities) content in wine doesn't help the dehydration, but she very
emphatically stated that despite "popular" opinion, it is the alcohol
content that is the single biggest factor in hang-overs. After telling us
all the associated damage drinking can do, she told us that the easiest way
to prevent (or recover from) hang-overs was to simply drink a lot of
straight water - not gatorade or fruit juice as the sugar and other minerals
will interfere with the water absorption, and  the minerals lost due to
dehydration are not as critical as the water loss and will be resupplied by
the next meal.

Freeze distilling apple wine would drastically increase the alcohol
consumed, and if it's a home-brewed apple wine, it doesn't have a lot of the
"impurities" that contribute to some people's hang-overs (like the sulfites
and preservatives) in commercially produced grape wine.

I won't even go into how the liver damage in "experienced drinkers" is
caused primarily by alcohol and makes them less capable of filtering
impurities...and so more likely to be sensitive to them.

Lady Katerine Rowley