HERB - Anise

Katherine Blackthorne kblackthorne at midtown.net
Wed May 10 08:43:17 PDT 2000

Gaylin wrote:

> Serian asked (on the Cook's list for those of you reading
> this on the Herbalist list):
>
>  Among the symptoms or situations it was said
> to cure are epilepsy (cf. Pythagorus); coughs (cf.
> Hippocrates); halitosis, old age, and bad dreams (cf.
> Pliny); flatulence; low flow of mother's milk; and
> nausea. As you go further and later in time, more
> cures pop up. Of the cures I listed, flatulence and
> indigestion, coughs, and nausea can be substantiated
> by modern science. There may be more, but I've not
> read the studies on them.
>
> Jasmine
> iasmin de cordoba

I'd like to put my two pence in regarding the dreams.

About a year ago, I was being plagued with nightmares to the point that I was
afraid to go to sleep at night.  (I'd be sitting up in the livingroom, feeling
tired and sleepy and decide to go to bed...then I'd get in there, start
remembering the night before, and feel like maybe it wasn't such a good idea
after all!)

Nothing worked.  Finally, in desparation, I started looking up which herbs were
supposed to be good for nightmares.  Then I took a muslin tea-sock, filled it
with anise, and stuck it under my pillow.  What I remember from that night is
that every time my dreams started to take on the (by then familiar) flavor of
my nightmares, I'd smell the anise.  And I'd remember I wasn't supposed to
dream that anymore.  And the nightmare would go away before it got started.
--Katherine Blackthorne