HERB - Anise

Katherine Blackthorne kblackthorne at midtown.net
Wed May 10 10:41:14 PDT 2000

Gaylin Walli wrote:

> katherine wrote:
>
> >every time my dreams started to take on the (by then familiar) flavor of
> >my nightmares, I'd smell the anise.  And I'd remember I wasn't supposed to
> >dream that anymore.  And the nightmare would go away before it got started.
>
> I think it's excellent that you managed to find something
> that works for you in this way. I wonder if anyone has
> done something similar with hops, considering especially
> the emphasis on that plant's ability to affect dreams
> (anecdotally only, of course, because again, I've not seen
> studies).
>
> Jasmine
> iasmin de cordoba

Hmmm.  For me, the mechanism seemed to bee the scent (yes, even thru my
pillow!).  I've never smelled hops by themselves (I brew mead, not beer) so I
don't know if they would work *in that way*.

They've been telling us for years about the way scent works on our brain, that
it reaches a much more "primative" part of our brain than any other sensation,
etc.  In my experience, this was true.  Nothing else had been able to anchor me
to reality enough to escape these dreams...except the anise.

Now I'm curious about the hops, but I'm not anxious to try.  (Don't want
nightmares that bad again!) :->
--Katherine