HERB - witch hazel & arnica

CorwynWdwd@aol.com CorwynWdwd at aol.com
Mon May 15 06:27:09 PDT 2000

In a message dated 5/15/2000 8:41:03 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
jamiebozeman at hotmail.com writes:

> I am Looking for a recipe for a
>  bruise/muscle ointment for our heavy fighters.  I belive the primary
>  ingredient is Arnica is anyone familiar with this?  Jamie

As always YMMV

I do a cup of arnica blossoms in about three cups of vinegar with a hot
pepper pod added. It makes a good muscle rub for sore muscles and really gets
the circulation going to move out the congestion of a bruise or a sprain. Let
them steep in a sealed jar for about two weeks, strain and bottle. I suppose
you could also extract the arnica in the witch hazel extract, though I've
never tried that (yet).

I also make an ointment with calendula blossoms, comfrey leaves or roots
(whichever are available) , yarrow, saffron and cloves in a base of anhydrous
lanolin, coconut oil, and a bit of beeswax for thickening. It sits atop the
skin for a bit then soaks right in. Put about a cup of the calendula
blossoms, several dried or fresh comfrey leaves (or about a quarter cup of
root) half cup of yarrow, a pinch of saffron and three or five cloves. To
this I add about a cup of lanolin, two or three cups coconut oil and the
beeswax (no more than a teaspoon or so). I cook it at 400 degrees in an oven
for about thirty to forty-five minutes. Yes, this seems to burn the herbs and
supposedly this shouldn't work, but for some reason it does as long as the
top of the casserole dish you use is well fitted. Strain and let cool before
using.

Corwyn