HERB - growing herbs in the shade

Katherine Blackthorne kblackthorne at midtown.net
Tue May 30 18:28:39 PDT 2000

GypsyRomany at aol.com wrote:

> In central Texas, what you call shade may recieve more sun than you think.
> Observe your yard all day on an hourly basis and see how much sunlight
> crosses the shady areas. If you are getting dappled sunlight for most of the
> day, you are far enough south that many herbs will grow well in your yard.

That was my thought as well.  My experience with the Central California
Valley's triple-digit summers, is that you must be careful not to let your
plants get sunburned.  (When I was an apartment dweller, I even had a potted
cactus get sunburn!)  The garden of my new home is mostly "shaded" -- this
means I can safely plant non-mediteranian plants and have them survive if I
don't water them every day!!  Yipee!!

Seriously, none of them have objected to the heavy shade.
--Katherine Blackthorne