HERB - rosehips

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Tue Oct 3 21:54:54 PDT 2000

Hey, I have been wondering the same thing.  I have been injured and sick
most of this year, so my garden has been on its own.  My rose bush
bloomed nicely, and the hips are as big as crabapples.  They have turned
a reddish/orange now, and I have been wondering about harvesting them.  I
have some info that says that Spanish settlers in California would wait
until just after a frost, and then gather them and make a semi-sweet stew
from them.  I am assuming the freezing causes some sweetness to occur.
We won't have frost here for some time (Atlanta) but I would be
interested in what to look for myself.
Christianna