HERB - ReIntroduction and Anglo-Saxon Herbs

Jenne Heise jenne at mail.browser.net
Thu Oct 5 14:48:22 PDT 2000

> Also my main question. I have a number of books referring to the anglo-saxon
> "poem" about the nine  herbs? but I have not seen it in full and was
> wondering if anybody knew any books that had it listed especially original
> language! This is to be one of my pet projects for the summer.

The 'nine herbs charm' ppeasr to be part of the Lacnunga, a very old
Anglo-Saxon text on medicine. I found a complete translated copy with the
original on facing pages in this text:

_Anglo-Saxon magic and medicine. Illustrated specially from the semi-pagan
text "Lacnunga," _ by J. H. G. Grattan and Charles Singer. London, New
York, Oxford University Press, 1952.
It's so old that it does not have an ISBN number but it does have a
Library of Congress catalog number: 52014433
-- Jadwiga