HERB - Re: herbalist V1 #537 Celtic woad Grinder

BJ of NZ bjofnz at yahoo.co.nz
Thu Oct 12 17:58:19 PDT 2000

Hi I loved this CELTIC WARRIORS "WOAD" GRINDER, 100 BC

some one has had fun taking  a huge Leap of illogic

Why I think the woad grinder wasn't intended for woad
grinding.
Next Question is it a mortor  ?
what was it intended to grind?
should we trust Ebays descriptions in the future?

1 woad fLowers are  yellow not blue

2 The blue colour comes from the Leaf not the flower

3 and the dye require's a Chemical reaction  with
potassium( mineral salt) and Ammonium, in period
stale urine,

4  Pict not celt

woad Painted Celtic warriors not factual
The misconception stems from 1 reference made by
Julius Caeser about the  picts
 and could  also be a  mistranslation the same word
meaning stained or cut

so tattooed blue pict rather then painted woad Celts

and Number 5
54 bc romen history first reference to pict

Picts Didnt leave written History,
 Carbon dating
  pre historical fact 100bc ??????

CELTIC WARRIORS "WOAD" GRINDER, 100 BC / N.R.
Startling fantasticle Factual NO????

 Item Description: c.1st Century BC. A large, slightly
crescentric "canoe shaped" Celtic warriors Woad
grinder. (i gotta go look at this)
pestle and mortar for grinding up the small blue
flowers that produced the distinctive facial blue dye
known as "Woad".

1 woad fLowers are  yellow

2 The blue colour comes from the Leaf

3 and the dye require a Chemical reaction  with
potassium( mineral salt) and Ammonium, in period
stale urine

Easier to carry a ready made pottle of face paint
Interestingly enough I've heard woad make a pretty
good Sun block,( reverse pattern Sun burn)No factual
reference and I wo'nt be experimenting Through it is
tempting.

 Celtic Warriors used to paint elaborate patterns on
their faces and bodies in order to make them appear
more terrifying and fearsome to the Roman Invaders.4
woad Painted Celtic warriors not factual
THe misconceptionstems from 1 reference made by Julius
Caeser to  picts and could be a  mis translation the
same word meaning stained or cut
so tattooing blue pict rather then painted woad Celts

and Number 5
54 bc romen history
  pre historical fact 100bc ??????

Bea of New Zealand