HERB - Re: herbalist V1 #536

DianaFiona@aol.com DianaFiona at aol.com
Mon Oct 9 23:40:23 PDT 2000

In a message dated 10/10/00 1:00:45 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
owner-herbalist at ansteorra.org writes:

<<
   I am getting ready to grind up some woad (My third crop this year) I had
 borrowed a large mortor and pestle
 http://members.nbci.com/wendysweb/SCA/woad/woadm1.jpg  But it was to small
 for the job. I was wondering what would have been used in period for
 grinding locally on a small scale.  I have seen pictures of large turning
 wheels used to produce woad on a large scale. >>

    By coincidence, a friend had just sent me a link to an ebay item that, if
not quite an answer to you question is at least interesting! Here's part of
the blurb and the link:

Title of item:  CELTIC WARRIORS "WOAD" GRINDER, 100 BC / N.R.
Seller: kcl45
Starts: Oct-03-00 13:01:27 PDT
Ends:   Oct-08-00 13:01:27 PDT
Price:  Currently $20.00
To bid on the item, go to:
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=457590274

Item Description:
    c.1st Century BC. A large, slightly crescentric "canoe shaped" Celtic
warriors Woad grinder. This would have been the mortarium half of a two piece
set worn around a Celtic Warriors neck which was used much like a small
pestle and mortar for grinding up the small blue flowers that produced the
distinctive facial blue dye known as "Woad". Celtic Warriors used to paint
elaborate patterns on their faces and bodies in order to make them appear
more terrifying and fearsome to the Roman Invaders. (Snip)

    Frustratingly, the info doesn't tell what material it is made from and
the picture doesn't really help much. It might easily be either wood or
bronze.........

                    Ldy Diana