HERB - mortor and pestle

dwilson dwilson at nbnet.nb.ca
Mon Oct 9 06:35:21 PDT 2000

  I am getting ready to grind up some woad (My third crop this year) I had
borrowed a large mortor and pestle
http://members.nbci.com/wendysweb/SCA/woad/woadm1.jpg  But it was to small
for the job. I was wondering what would have been used in period for
grinding locally on a small scale.  I have seen pictures of large turning
wheels used to produce woad on a large scale.
  I would like to make a household grain grinding stone (Viking/or any thing
English in period)  but I am having a hard time doing the search.  Could
someone could supply me with words pertaining to the subject of hand
grinding?
Thank you
Sheepstealer
Frost on the woad this morning.