HERB - Re: herbalist V1 #539

Katherine Blackthorne kblackthorne at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 13 11:38:47 PDT 2000

Gee, you mean dying isn't just a matter of mashing up a bunch of herbs?
There's more to it than that?  Huh, maybe that's why certain dyes were so
expensive -- and would certainly explain how there could be "secrets" to
dying!

Sorry, sometimes I get a kick out of the way people don't stop & think.  We
all learned in grade school that the "secret" of indigo dye was part of what
made it so expensive for so long, but if it's just mashig up plants, there's
no secret, now is there?

I think dying is facinating stuff, and I may try it someday.  (Closest I've
come is helping an old roommate onion-dye her socks yellow.)  But I'm afraid
of mordants!

--Katherine