HERB - Re: Mordants/ herbalist V1 #539

Isrith inn Glothi nordmarc at ix.netcom.com
Fri Oct 13 12:10:52 PDT 2000

I'm afraid of the harsh chemical mordants too (copper, tin, etc), so I've used
the ones I consider to be a little safer.

Tannin (blackberry leaves & oak bark), Iron (rusty nails, etc), Alum (actually I
used the regular pickling alum & got great results). I'm working up to the
"extraction of dye by urine" methods.... :-)

I've found that after dye baths are great for changing the pH and therefore the
colour.
Salt water, vinegar water, and ammonia water afterbaths are all worth
experimenting with.

Isrith.