HERB - Root Beer.

Magdalena magdlena at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 24 21:51:34 PDT 2000

Isrith inn Glothi wrote:

> Anyone know anything about root beer being period? If it is (as someone
> is trying to assure me) I'd like to know if it's the same concoction
> that we have nowadays - a soda pop!

I haven't seen any documentation anywhere for anything like root beer.  (If
whoever it is can quote a source, I'd love to see it!)  Small mead, sometimes
called hydromel, which has a light concentration of honey to water (I use 1.5
lbs/gallon) and is fermented with an ale yeast for ~ a week, is very like a
fizzy honey soda.  In period it was flavored with a variety of herbs & spices.
Digby is an excellent source for small mead recipes.

-Magdalena (the mad vintner)