HERB - wound healing & honey

Gaylin iasmin at home.com
Thu Sep 7 21:46:53 PDT 2000

Suzanna obligingly provided my lightbulb when she typed:

>One of the essential components of the treatment of Helicobacter pylori
>as the bacterial cause of ulcers is PeptoBismol, or an equivalent bismuth
>containing compound.  Apparently the bismuth is useful in some capacity.

Oh good heavens THAT'S IT! Peptobismol is a *bismuth* compound.
Damn my stupid brain. Okay.... I got it finally. Bismuth subnitrate
and subcarbonate are very often used in medicine. Other bismuth
combinations as well. Peptobismol is bismuth subsalicylate, if I'm not
mistaken. Gracious, it was right in front of me.

 From the Proctor and Gamble website:

      HOW DOES PEPTO-BISMOL STOP DIARRHEA?

      It works as an anti-microbial and reduces the
      accumulation of fluid in the intestine that can cause diarrhea.

There are plenty of studies that show that many bacteria have a very low
survival rate in the presence of bismuth-based compounds. Bismuth is even
one of the major ingredients in the newest of the heartburn prescriptions. And
many heartburns cases are gastric ULCERs and carcinomas. Internal wounds!

>I believe it disrupts  some process in the bacterium, but I have not
>researched this in any detail, so am not sure.  Maybe someone else has
>seen some research on this topic?

I have and I'm an idiot for not making the connection before now.
Okay. The Peptobismol in the wounds makes *perfect* sense now.

Iasmin de Cordoba, gwalli at ptc.com or iasmin at home.com