HERB - Patchouli??

Lady Elsebetha von Hoffmann of Thuein mythrial at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 3 07:11:28 PDT 2001

Greetings herblist!

I have done some studies on wormwood and the production of Absinthe.  From
what I have read, a lot of the toxicity that Absinthe was responsible for
was due to the additives that the producers used to create the clear emerald
green color and make the effect of turning the drink cloudy white when mixed
with water, when they werent using fresh wormwood.  I think in some
instances they used copper sulfate.  Now, I am NOT saying Absinthe is safe
to drink, as wormwood does have hallucenigentic (sp?) properties in its own
rights from the thujone (which is a base property of wormwood)and is
poisonous in high doses, but in small doses, a lot of herbalists use it to
rid the body of parasites, assist in relieving pain, as well as other
things.  Definitely, do not use it if you are pregnant, as it does have some
abortifacent properties.

Btw, Absinthe is a VERY bitter drink..the proper way of serving it was to
add sugar, and using a slotted spoon, pour cold water into the drink until
it turned the cloudy white color.