HERB - Absinthe

Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil aheilvei at uiuc.edu
Wed Apr 4 07:14:08 PDT 2001

>Asinthe is illegal.  It was a French-manufactured alcoholic beverage that
>contained, among other things, (was it wormwoood?  I forget) a potentially
>lethal ingredient.  It is no longer commercially manufactured.

Absinthe is indeed illegal in the US.  It is still manufactured by one
company with special dispensation in the UK.  This is the only place in the
world still making it.  It is not cheap.  To bring it into the US is a huge
fine.

It did have wormwood as a principal ingredient, and the proper way to drink
it was, indeed by pouring it through sugar set on a slotted - or tea -
spoon.  A good depiction of this is in the version of Dracula released a
few years ago with Gary Oldman and Winnona Rider. Near the beginning of the
movie, Wynnona Rider is having a drink of absinthe with Keanu Reeves and he
serves it properly (the only thing he did right in that movie, talk about
bad casting).

It is also considered the reason many 19th c artists had visions/great
creative streaks and died young.

On a different note, could people please be sure to snip posts?  I recieve
this list in digest form and so if you don't snip, I get to see the same
messages over and over and over - as I am sure many others do.

Thanks,
Despina de la Brasov

Find a purpose in life so big it will challenge every capacity to be at
your best.
--David O. McKay