HERB - Is marigold period

Lynette lklc at prodigy.net
Thu Apr 5 02:13:26 PDT 2001

Well I do know this.  The plant commonly called marigold today is definitely
modern.  The plant we now occasionally call Pot-marigold is much older and
You will recognize it as Calendula  which dates to ancient roman times where
it got it's name Culpeper mentions it as good for strengthening the heart.
In period it was not used so much as a medicinal but as a magical flower.
There were concoctions that allowed you to see fairies, and dream of the one
you'd marry.  In England and the Netherlands it was commonly found in soups.