HERB - Re: Gillyflowers

Jenne Heise jenne at mail.browser.net
Thu Apr 5 05:41:45 PDT 2001

> Hmmm. No footnote on this info in BC's Herb Garden, no footnotes in the entire book, which is
> annoying.
[snip] Thanks for the Culpepper reference.
I went back to _my_ secondary sources, and found that Penelope Hobhouse (_Plants in
Garden History_) claims that clove carnations were introduced to England after 1400, and
pinks somewhat earlier. Sylvia Landberg (_Medieval Gardens) makes a similar claim. I
can't say how reliable Hobhouse as evidence of absence, since she also repeats the story
about rosemary being brought to England by Phillipa of Hanault.

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise	      jenne at mail.browser.net
"He cooks eternally, imperturbably, suspended in the chaos of which the
Master interprets the meaning..." Kipling, "With the Night Mail"