HERB - Hildegard of Bingen info

Sheron Buchele/Curtis Rowland foxryde at mail.frii.com
Wed Apr 18 08:53:42 PDT 2001

Thanks!

After I sent this, I went to Amazon and B&N and did a search.  Wow, there
is a lot out there on her.

cool.

Sheron

At 11:22 AM 4/18/01 -0400, you wrote:
>> http://www.geocities.com/Vienna/Strasse/1945/WSB/hilde.html
>> Has anyone been able to put hands on good books about her herbalism?  I
>> have a couple that are lots of blah blah and only a bit about her
herbalism.

>Yup. Here's the text:
>
>Hildegarde of Bingen. Hildegard von Bingen's Physica: the complete English
translation of
>her classic work on Health and Healing. Trans. from the Latin by Patricia
Throop.
>(Rochester, VT: Healing Arts, 1998). ISBN 0-89281-661-9
>
>Bear Books also has a book about Hildegard's system as it is currently
used today in some
>parts of Germany (which wierds me out, thanks), I think it's called
_Hildegarde's
>Medicine_ or some such. But get the Healing Arts press translation instead
or in addition
>to it.
>
>> I am leaning more and more into the classic way of diagnosing in my
>> practice and need to learn more about her!
>
>Note that Hildegard was not specifically trained in medicine, and tended
to go her own
>way as far as diagnosing.  For the really classic stuff about humors, etc.
there are two
>books I'd recommend: Platina's _On Right Pleasure and Good Health_ (a
period text), and
>Tobyn, Graeme. _Culpeper's Medicine: A Practice of Western Holistic
Medicine_. (s.l.:
>Element Books, 1997) ISBN: 1852309431
>
>If you are interested in modern holistic practice, Susun Weed's _Healing
Wise_ is an
>interesting if somewhat eccentric read. ;)
>
>--
>Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise	      jenne at mail.browser.net
>disclaimer: i speak for no-one and no-one speaks for me.
>"It's no use trying to be clever-- we are all clever here; just try
>to be kind -- a little kind." F.J. Foakes-Jackson

Fox Ryde Gardens - Herbal Innovations for Health and Cuisine
7743 West First Street
Loveland, CO 80537
970/669-3835
Visit our website: http://www.foxryde.com

A nation is not conquered until the hearts of its women are on the ground.
Then, it is done, no matter how brave its warriors nor how strong their
weapons."
~ Cheyenne Proverb