[Herbalist] saffron crocuses

Jenne Heise jenne at mail.browser.net
Wed Aug 22 08:59:05 PDT 2001

> I found some saffron bulbs at a store out in Blue Ball a little while
> ago.  Can anybody give me some advice for when and where to plant them?
> The guy at the store said to plant anytime before the end of summer...
> but that doesn't jive with what I know of bulbs.  Usually you plant
> bulbs in the autumn for next spring, no?  Do they prefer sun, or do they
> tolerate shade?  I've got my fingers crossed that they'll tolerate shade
> like other crocuses, because I have no shortage of shade here!

Saffron crocuses are fall-flowering, which is why you plant them in the
summer time. I would put them in as soon as possible: they start pushing
up new green stalks in late fall. I didn't get around to planting the ones
I got from The Village Herb Shop until too late (early October) and they
didn't make it.

Shepherd's has a site on the web that says the same thing:
http://www.shepherdseeds.com/tips.asp?36

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise	      jenne at mail.browser.net