HERB - liniment/massage oil rub

Sue Rogers wjwakefield at juno.com
Mon Jan 8 20:26:27 PST 2001

When I make bruise oil/massage oil, I start with the herbs in a blend of
oils (run thru the blender to "stampe them small", as it were) and let
them stand for several weeks.  I always include some castor oil, since it
is so good for the skin (it also acts as an emulsifier to some extent) -
and it is a period oil (as kik or oleum cicinum in Gerard).

But when I get to adding essential oil (for fragrance and effect) I add
about 10 drops of essential oil (total) for each ounce of base oil.  This
seems to be about the right amount, and even a year later the smell is
still there.

For 8 ounces of massage oil, I will usually add 30 drops of clove oil, 30
drops of peppermint or pennyroyal oil, and 25 or 30 drops of lemon or
orange oil (slightly over the 10 drops/ounce, but not by much).  The
clove and mint are both for the effects, the orange or lemon to jazz up
the smell a little.

In a salve I make for vaginal dryness, 10 drops of peppermint oil per
ounce is very strong - 8 drops per ounce might be better in sensitive
areas...  unless the stimulation is what is desired.

For what it's worth...
Suzanna, the herbalist, Barony of the Steppes, Kingdom of Ansteorra
(Dallas, TX)