HERB - Scholarly sources

RAISYA@aol.com RAISYA at aol.com
Tue Jan 9 03:22:57 PST 2001

Jennifer,

Jadwiga's list is a good one, I can add a couple of details about my
favorite...

>>>Walfrid Strabo, _Hortulus_ (I don't know if there was an english
>>>translation)

There IS an English translation, done by Raef Payne, in a lovely edition that
includes a photocopy of one of the surviving 9th century copies.  This is one
of the few surviving sources on herbs and gardening from the earlier periods.
 Unfortunately, it was a very small printing, you may have problems finding a
copy.  I posted most of them to the list a couple of years ago for that
reason.

Also from the same period, look for The Gardens of St. Gall, which is a book
about a surviving monastery plan from the 9th century, including vegetable
and medicinal herb gardens, and the list from Charlemagne's Capitulare de
Villis, which includes about 100 plants he felt should be grown.  If you
can't find that one, let me know and I'll post a translation to the list.

I think there may be a couple of others, like the Medieval Health Handbooks,
I'll try to add more on those later.

Raisya