HERB - colds and flu

Gaylin Walli iasmin at home.com
Mon Jan 22 16:27:26 PST 2001

Cecille asked:

>If you had a cold or the flu during the Middle Ages,
>what was the name given for this condition?

Well, to be honest, there really wasn't one per se.

>In other words...Does anyone know what the Medieval
>synonyms for "Cold" and "Flu" might have been?

In all honesty, the medieval mind was treating symptoms,
not whole conditions like we do today. To them, the cough
was a treated thing, the fever was a treated thing, the
running nose was a treated thing, the aching body was a
separate thing. Does that make sense?

Iasmin

Iasmin de Cordoba, iasmin at home.com