HERB - Nettles.

Carol / Isrith nordmarc at ix.netcom.com
Wed Jan 24 10:43:43 PST 2001

Trying to find archeological documentation on this subject has been
driving me nuts! I'm posting here in hope that someone has a
clue/hint/experience/idea that could help.

This past summer I took it upon myself to attempt the retting and
spinning of Stinging Nettles (Urtica urens). - It's sort of a crossover
for me between my love of things herbal and my love of textiles.

I have found hints here and there about nettles being used for
spinning/weaving in Northern European countries (Elizabeth Barber -
Women's Work), Scotland in the 16th century and even in WW II Europe
(Mrs Grieves' - A Modern Herbal).

I have read that some finds of cloth at first presumed to be linen
turned out, on closer inspection, to be made from nettles. However I
can't seem to find any actual archeological documentation!

Someone told me about a museum in Lejre, Denmark that has nettle fibre,
cloth, etc. and that there is a website. I've hunted and can't find
anything (yes, I did write back to that person.)

Does anyone have any ideas where I could begin looking for good
documentation on this one?

Thanks,
~ Isrith.