HERB - Re: Nettles.

Carol / Isrith nordmarc at ix.netcom.com
Wed Jan 24 21:25:20 PST 2001

Spinning common nettles was not just done in fairy tales!

RoseThstle at aol.com wrote:

> Now, if the fibers were spun and woven into cloth, I could be wrong,
> but I
> doubt they were..

With all due respect, my lady, they most definitely were.

> When dried they can be quite brittle.

They spin very well well retted properly, and I have a couple of skeins
that I've spun to prove that. :-)

> The fibers are strong and the nettles are thought to fight rheumatism
> so some enterprising
> person could have thought of weaving the nettles into wool or linen.

Nettles were used for spinning and weaving in  Northern Europe before
the importation of flax. Nettles were, and still are, plentiful in those
areas.

>  I forwarded this to our "goddess of the spindle"  Maybe she can shed
> more
> light.

Thanks, I'm very appreciative of that. :-)

~ Isrith.