HERB - Nettles.

Carol / Isrith nordmarc at ix.netcom.com
Wed Jan 24 19:01:47 PST 2001

Spinning nettles was not just done in fairy tales!

RoseThstle at aol.com wrote:

> Now, if the fibers were spun and woven into cloth, I could be wrong,
> but I
> doubt they were..

With all due respect, they most definitely were my lady.

> When dried they can be quite brittle.

Ahem. They spin very well, and I have a couple of skeins that I've spun
to prove that. :-)

>  The fibers are
> strong and the nettles are thought to fight rheumatism so some
> enterprising
> person could have thought of weaving the nettles into wool or linen.

Nettles were used for spinning and weaving in  Northern Europe before
the importation of flax. Nettles were plentiful.

> I forwarded this to our "goddess of the spindle"  Maybe she can shed
> more
> light.

Thanks, I'm very appreciative of that. :-)

~ Isrith.