[Herbalist] Myrhh

Sue Rogers wjwakefield at juno.com
Mon Jul 23 20:21:02 PDT 2001

Myrrh has long been considered to be effective in treating and preventing
infections in the mouth.  It is also supposed to freshen the breath.  One
of the reasons it was valued in antiquity was for use in embalming, since
it prevents or inhibits decay.  I use ground myrrh in the tooth powder I
make for brushing my teeth, to help prevent gum disease.

Since myrrh is relatively insoluble in water, I would recommend making a
tincture and using it as a mouthwash.

I am not sure how the capsules would work - not sure how myrrh reacts to
digestive enzymes and acids, and not sure if it is effective
systemically.  I always thought it woulkd be more effective topically.

Suzanna, herbalist, Barony of the Steppes, Kingdom of Ansteorra (Dallas,
TX)