[Herbalist] Digging for information (longish)

tegangwyllt tegangwyllt at mail.ev1.net
Wed Jun 6 11:08:36 PDT 2001

Greetings all,

Ok, I have done the best bit of gardening in my life!!  I have
planted several things from seed and now have thriving green
plants for the first time ever (I killed a cactus by underwatering
it, a hint of my green thumb history).  So now I need help with
what to do with it all.  Here's what I've got...

Catnip - one of the plants is about 8 in. tall now and starting to
flower.  The rest are about 4 - 6 in.  When should I harvest
this?  What do I do with it after I do harvest it (besides keep it
from my 4 cats :P)?

Lavender - it is also about 6in. tall and starting to flower.  But
the flowers are white, is that ok?  I love the smell of lavender,
but don't know any practical applications for it as an herbal.

Camomile(sp) - these are just to the point of being bushy, but no
flowers as of yet.  I know that I can make a soothing tea from
camomille(sp), but I don't know from which part.  Also, when do I
harvest it?

Mint - these are just tiny vines at the moment.  And they're in
the same pot as my catnip.  Is this bad for the catnip?  Also,
what can I do w/ the mint?  I don't remember if it's spearmint or
peppermint, could I tell by looking?

Basil - I know to cook w/ this one, but when do I harvest it?  I
have one plant in particular that is about 5 in. tall now.

Parsley - what does it mean when some of the plants start to turn
red at the base?  When do I harvest these?

Ok, I think that's enough for one post.  I have a couple of other
things growing on the porch too; aloe vera, mums, violas, English
ivy and a collection of climbers that flower beautifilly.  And I
haven't killed anything... yet.  But any suggestions that you have
for me and my new little green friends would be greatly
appreciated.

Thank all of you in advance,
Tegan (happy about her new found green thumb) Gwyllt
(mka - Stacy Kopec)
Canton of Gate's Edge              Spring, TX
Barony of the Stargate             Houston, TX
Kingdom of Ansteorra               Greater Texas and Oklahoma

Sent via the EV1 webmail system at mail.ev1.net