[Herbalist] Digging for information (longish)

Jenne Heise jenne at mail.browser.net
Wed Jun 6 11:25:59 PDT 2001

> Catnip - one of the plants is about 8 in. tall now and starting to
> flower.  The rest are about 4 - 6 in.  When should I harvest
> this?  What do I do with it after I do harvest it (besides keep it
> from my 4 cats :P)?

You can harvest catnip any time, as long as you leave the stalks some leaves at the
bottom. In general, harvesting before the plant blooms but in the middle of the season is
good.

With four cats, you'll have to dry it in the car or some other place they can't get into.
(Cars are harder for cats to get into than ovens... all that thumb manipulation.)
I recommend doing it on a day you don't have to use the car, as the smell is very strong.
Lay the leaves/stems out in a single layer on a tray or hang it up in a bunch. In summer
conditions with a non-leaky car, they should be crispy dry in 1-3 days. Put the
crisply-dried plant material in a catproof container, such as a tin with a tight top, and
hide it. ;)

> Lavender - it is also about 6in. tall and starting to flower.  But
> the flowers are white, is that ok?  I love the smell of lavender,
> but don't know any practical applications for it as an herbal.

While blue lavender is the norm, white and pink lavenders have been developed. Gather the
flowers before the buds completely open. Lavender has calming/sedative and some
antiseptic properties: it's often used in skin washes. It's also used in cooking, in the
spice mixture called Herbes de Provence.

> Camomile(sp) - these are just to the point of being bushy, but no
> flowers as of yet.  I know that I can make a soothing tea from
> camomille(sp), but I don't know from which part.  Also, when do I
> harvest it?

You need the flowers.. cut them just as they open and dry them.

> Mint - these are just tiny vines at the moment.  And they're in
> the same pot as my catnip.  Is this bad for the catnip?  Also,
> what can I do w/ the mint?  I don't remember if it's spearmint or
> peppermint, could I tell by looking?

NOTHING is bad for catnip. Of course they will fight it out and eventually one of them
(the catnip or the mint) will get crowded out, but you apparently don't have that trouble
yet. ;) But you may want to later move them to different pots where they both have room
to grow, and be sure to give them a little fertilizer or good compost from time to time.

Peppermint has rounded smoothedged, dark green leaves; spearmint has pointed, jagged,
brightish green leaves.

> Basil - I know to cook w/ this one, but when do I harvest it?  I
> have one plant in particular that is about 5 in. tall now.

If it is the small leaved 'bush basil' let it get about 8" tall; the big leaved stuff
might need to be bigger. Pinch off fresh leaves as you need them. You can let them get
big and harvest for drying in late July...

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise	      jenne at mail.browser.net