[Herbalist] coriander

Carol / Isrith nordmarc at ix.netcom.com
Thu Jun 21 06:24:12 PDT 2001

Greetings Christina,
If your seeds are green right now you will notice, as the summer progresses,
that the seeds take on a dark reddish blush, and will then start to dry out a
little as they turn a light brown.  If you pick one and crush it between your
fingers at this stage, it should have a distinct orangey smell to it. This is
the time to take them from the plant.
There should be no green colour when you harvest them, and not all of the seeds
on one plant may be ready at once, so snip off those clusters that are ready,
tie them together inside a paper lunch sack, and hang them up to dry. Leave the
green clusters on the plant to ripen.

As for the bugs, try several cloves of fresh garlic with water in your blender
(stand back when you take the top off the blender, the smell can be
overpowering!). Strain the liquid into a spray bottle and spray down the plants
with it. This often works very well.

Good luck fighting the bugs!
~ Isrith.