[Herbalist] Re: Bug Controll

Katherine Blackthorne kblackthorne at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 22 13:24:20 PDT 2001

>From: BJ of NZ <bjofnz at yahoo.co.nz>
<Snip>
>Aphid predators. Ladybird beetles and larvae
>(Coleoptera: Coccinellidae) the larvae of lacewings-
>Micromus tasmaniae (Neuroptera: Hemerobiidae).
>hoverflies larvae (Diptera: Syrphidae)
>An aphid fungus, Entomophthora aphidis attacks some
>species, notably the cabbage aphid.

I strongly recommend this one!  This spring, I found my new rosebush covered
in aphids.  As in, the aphids were litterally covering the flower buds so I
could not see them.

I wend to the hardware store, and for $7 bought a container of ladybugs.  I
took off the (ladybug-covered!) lid and set it under the rosebush, then
tossed the rest where I thought they would do the most good.  (There is a
slightly over-grown area where I susspect the nasty little green aphids were
breeding!)  Within HOURS, the aphid population was dessimated and the
ladybugs were busy breeding.  By the next day, there were no aphids visible
on my rosebush or anywhere else... and I haven't seen another one since.