HERB - soap recipie?

Maggie MacDonald maggie5 at home.com
Wed Mar 14 08:45:48 PST 2001

At 10:24 AM 3/14/01 -0600,sunshinegirl said something like:
>Does anyone have a pre-1600 soap recipie?  Plus references?   Lye making
>recipie?
>  Is there anything on line that I could have the url for?
>If you have something, would you please send it to me?
>
>Thanks!
>
>Melandra, whose local group is hosting kingdom A & S in may...

That is such a cool question that you have asked!! I did a search on 'soap
making recipes'. One of the first hits I got was on a soap making
discussion by the SCA, it has been moved to the florigelium thingie.

There was another webpage on How To Make Soap, it was aimed at westerners
doing missionary work in areas that don't have the grocery store. It even
starts with how to make your own lye.  I was pretty impressed. The webpage
is at:

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/paul_norman_3/soapmake.htm

That is one of the best discussions on how to make lye that I've seen since
some of the old oral histories from my family archives (they were Mormon
pioneers, and some of the first to head down to the south end of
Utah).  They are, of course, complete with warnings as to what NOT to use,
and warnings on safe handling.  (BE CAREFUL!!!)

Regards,
Maggie MacD.