HERB - flash pasteurization

Yaya Balinci yaya at telus.net
Thu Mar 15 01:11:27 PST 2001

I am guessing that flash pasteurizing doesn't render everythiing dead like a
nuclear holocaust or total pasteurizing. Total pasteurization kills all good
and bad bacteria and leaves the food at 0 megaherz of life. It is lifeless
food with no electrical pulse left. I haven't done the tests but this is
what i am hearing from small corners of the fringe. Your guess is as good as
mine but i do know that when i make cheese from our goats i just bring the
milk close to the boil so as not to kill all the good bacteria and make sure
that i am clean. Pasteur was heralded because some people pre Louis were not
clean and cause a lot of illness. Our laziness/uncleanliness and quest for
maximum shelf life has made us embrace Louis but i wouldn't think of raising
my children on chlorinated water and pasteurized milk, cheese, oj etc etc.

Michael Hollihn,
Sustainable Forest-Farm-Garden Design
Ecosystem Mapping For Sustainable Production of foods and building
materials,
yaya at telus.net
604.253.2536
http://www3.telus.net/circleworks/sustmed2.htm