HERB - Fw: [TY] Help from Scribes,Gardeners and Dyers Needed!!

Wes Will wwill at globaleyes.net
Thu Mar 22 10:48:37 PST 2001

At 10:39 AM 3/22/01 -0600, you wrote:
>Forwarded from Tavern Yard...
>> I am working on building up a pallette of period

>> for indigo and woad, but can't find a source for a

Thing the first, woad is not non-toxic.  It's hallucinogenic, as a matter
of fact.  You should be OK in small quantities, but be careful of woad.

Thing secundus, you're not going to get a lot of action on getting seeds
for the European plant "turnsol", crozophora tinctoria, one of the
Euphoribicea, since it is classified as a noxious weed, a major pain in the
tuchus of folks in Europe who are trying to grow things for food.  (It's
quickly found on Italian sites dealing with the growing of spring onions,
for instance.)

If you know anyone in Europe, especially in Italy, you can likely get them
to (violate international and U.S. law) and pick you some seeds from about
any field they come to.  I'm NOT suggesting you try, however.  The fines
for willfully importing weed seeds are quite stiff.

Eoin Caimbeul