HERB - woad musings....

Sheron Buchele/Curtis Rowland foxryde at mail.frii.com
Thu Mar 22 11:07:37 PST 2001

I wonder about woad.

My lord, Syr Deotrich, has been using woad on his face as he goes into
battle for many years now.  He is very attuned to things and has never used
drugs or alcohol.  He says that he gets a "this is cool" boost from his
bloodline (heavy Celtic), but feels no additional effects.  He also paints
10 or so warriors and have heard the same from them - this doesn't cause
any effects.

I havested several bushels of woad on the full moon a couple of summers ago
and tore the leaves by hand which did slightly stain my fingers blue and
green.  I have experienced several altered states in my wild youth.  I felt
no effects from the woad.  I enjoyed the task and set no iron to the plant
so felt good about what we were doing, another "this is cool" sensation
from my bloodline (also heavy Celtic (even traced back to a Pict king on my
mother's side)).

Now, I realize that my experiences fly in the face of many many things that
have been written.  But I wonder if other people have actually had
experiences with their own body with any effects from woad.

Sheepstealer?  You also actually grow and harvest the stuff.  I tried to
make some of the pigment, but ran out of patcience, so we use the woad from
the pigment lady who sells out of the cart at Pennsic.

Yust my 2 pence worth,
Baroness Leonora
Outlands

At 12:48 PM 3/22/01 -0600, you wrote:
>At 10:39 AM 3/22/01 -0600, you wrote:
>>Forwarded from Tavern Yard...
>>> I am working on building up a pallette of period
>
>>> for indigo and woad, but can't find a source for a
>
>Thing the first, woad is not non-toxic.  It's hallucinogenic, as a matter
>of fact.  You should be OK in small quantities, but be careful of woad.
>
>Thing secundus, you're not going to get a lot of action on getting seeds
>for the European plant "turnsol", crozophora tinctoria, one of the
>Euphoribicea, since it is classified as a noxious weed, a major pain in the
>tuchus of folks in Europe who are trying to grow things for food.  (It's
>quickly found on Italian sites dealing with the growing of spring onions,
>for instance.)
>
>If you know anyone in Europe, especially in Italy, you can likely get them
>to (violate international and U.S. law) and pick you some seeds from about
>any field they come to.  I'm NOT suggesting you try, however.  The fines
>for willfully importing weed seeds are quite stiff.
>
>Eoin Caimbeul

Fox Ryde Gardens - Herbal Innovations for Health and Cuisine
7743 West First Street
Loveland, CO 80537
970/669-3835
Visit our website: http://www.foxryde.com

A nation is not conquered until the hearts of its women are on the ground.
Then, it is done, no matter how brave its warriors nor how strong their
weapons."
~ Cheyenne Proverb