HERB - woad musings....

Christine Seelye-King kingstaste at mindspring.com
Thu Mar 22 11:23:58 PST 2001

I have to agree.  I have watched folks paint themselves from head to foot
with woad in order to get whatever effect it has to offer, and they were
dissapointed.  I am convinced that a lot of its powers had to do with the
ritual of preparing for battle, and the Shaman's exhortations to bravery and
skill, whipping them into a frenzy.
I grew woad one year, just to say I'd done it, and worked with the plant
extensively (did not process it for dye, though, the reports of the terrible
smell made me shy away from that in my inner-city neighborhood), and got not
so much as a pleasant buzz from it.  It does make really good blue paint,
however.
Christiann