HERB - OP: Kava & Valerian for pets question (fwD)

Sue Rogers wjwakefield at juno.com
Mon Mar 26 19:20:03 PST 2001

when I had a cat with allergy problems, I used to give him 1/4 or 1/8 the
adult dose of antihistamines, and it worked ok with no side effects.  If
you can find dosages for children, compare those to the size of the pet.

verify that these are safe for the specified pet.  some medicines that
work on people are different in animals.  for examples, aspirin and
acetominophen are toxic to dogs and cats, opiates act like speed for
horses and cats.  on the other hand, birth control pills were originally
tried on cats...

valerian can lower blood pressure, so I would be cautious using it in
small animals.  kava, even in humans can be a bit unpredictable at times.
 what kind of animal and what kind of problem would be useful
information.

Suzanna, herbalist, Barony of the Steppes, Kingdom of Ansteorra (Dallas,
TX)