[Herbalist] Re: Sun & herbs, was: bruise juice recipie or similar tintures or remidies.

Katherine Blackthorne kblackthorne at hotmail.com
Mon May 21 16:58:50 PDT 2001

>From: Gaylin Walli <iasmin at home.com>
>
><Snip>Caristiona, who posted the
>original recipe, may have had different experiences because she lets her
>herbs
>sit in oil in the sun. I don't do this because I don't like exposing
>the plant matter
>to the sunlight, just the heat.

I have often heard about the bad effects of sunlight on our precious herbs,
and always keep mine in a dark place.  However, there is a place deep inside
me that thinks letting them steep in oil in the warm sun is RIGHT...

Then (just now) I had a Thought:  What if they were left to steep in the
sunlight, with the (dark-colored)jar wrapped tightly with a black cloth?
(Perhaps put inside a black sock...)  Seems like it should combine the best
of both worlds.

I think this came up because of the blanket I always wrap around my mead
while it ferments (don't want the light bothering it).

--Katherine Blackthorne